Wednesday, September 9, 2009

In control, NOT

Some think we are in control. Sometimes I guess we are, other times, well.

We are in Los Altos, the San Francisco area, down right next to Stanford University. My youngest brother and sister-in-law live here. Very nice area, and the weather has been spectacular. Great week to be here on vacation.

Tuesday evening I tried to double check on our flight reservations. Used to be you check in 72 hours before an international flight. (Turns out now it is 24 hours, but I tried anyway.) Went to the United Airlines website OK, put in our frequent flier information, and it tells me “No itinerary found for this person.” Whoa! OK, maybe I’ll try another tactic. I’ll try the reservation number. “No itinerary found for this number.” Wait a minute!

I try again, both ways, frequent flyer number and the printed reservations number, but both come back as nothing. Two days before departure, and I am somewhat concerned. So I call United. Young girl answers and in her best street talk (what ever happened to business etiquette?) informs me that I should check in online. Yep, I tell her, I know that, but online tells me I have no reservations, and I need to get to the bottom of this. She digs some into her computer files, and comes back on the phone and tells me that someone has deleted those reservations! WHAT? OH ****! Who? She says she cannot tell me that, but asks who I bought the tickets through. Even tells me we were flying from SF to Shanghai and the date. Nice of her, except for the “were” part. I tell her the agent’s name and she verifies they did make reservations, but someone has since deleted them.

I call the agent, of course it is after hours in Florida, but I leave a message on her phone. No response, but about 7:00 California time I decide to also send an email to her. 8:00 or so California time my cell rings but I am at dinner, so do not answer.

Later back at my brother and sister’s house I check messages and the agent tells me she has gone in under reservation number such and such and the reservations are there and all is well. Turns out to be a different reservation number. Funny? No, but I’ll try online check-in later today, Wednesday, and see what happens. That is, before I call the agent. And ask why we have no reservations under our FF # either?

Control, no. It is just a mirage.

Hey, at least this happened here where I speak the language. Just wait till next week. Whoppee!

No comments:

Post a Comment