Thursday, September 17, 2009

Speaking Chinese

We are traveling around southern China. Most people speak Catonese and/or their local dialect. Shanghainese is a language all its own. But most Chinese people, especially those who have frequent contact with travelers, understand and speak Mandarin as well.

This entry is more for me than for anyone else. I am attempting to document how much Mandarin I have remembered. I have actually said the following and have even been understood at times. lol Amazing what resurfaces years later when we need it. (I will confess to having reviewed our Chinese language books at home before coming and to often referring to my favorite little language book, ESSENTIAL CHINESE FOR TRAVELERS. But some of these words/phrases have just popped out when needed.)

Hello.
Hello. (Different when answering the phone.)
How are you?
Thank you.
You are welcome.
No problem.
Good-bye.
China. (Literally means “Middle Kingdom” as in “center of the universe”?)
America. (Literally means “Beautiful Country” which I think is nice.)
American.
Canada.
England.
Just want to look.
How much?
Too expensive!
Come down a little?
Beautiful.
Left.
Right.
Straight ahead.
Stop.
I don’t understand.
I understand. (Used MUCH less often.)
I don’t know.
Yesterday.
Today.
Tomorrow.
Correct.
Incorrect.
Yes or no?
Good.
Very good.
Not good.
Good or not good? (Do you agree or not?)
Where?
When?
This.
That.
Coca cola.
Seven Up.
Water. (For ordering bottled water)
Two cold Tsing Tao beers.
Dumplings.
Steamed bread.
Chicken.
Pork.
Chopsticks.
Have you eaten rice? (Colloquial for hello.)
I am very full.
Waiter.
Waitress.
Check or bill.
Numbers 0-10
With some thought eleven through ninety-nine as these are formed by combining 0-10.
Hundred.
Thousand.
Happy birthday to you.

When told my Chinese is very good, I answer as a Chinese person would: “Not good, but thank you.”

Pronouns: Years ago Archie’s mom told us to remember Juanita. How would a Spanish name help with Chinese pronouns? Wo = I, ni = you, ta = he, she, it (all genders); add “men” to each to pluralize: women = we, nimen = you plural, tamen = they.

My all-time favorite Chinese expression is “mamahuhu.” Literally it means “horse horse tiger tiger.” This is comparable to our “six of one; half dozen of the other” or “OK, but not great.” When Lili, our Suzhou guide trainee, asked me if I had enjoyed the flight from San Francisco to Shanghai, I said, “Mamahuhu,” and she laughed out loud.

No comments:

Post a Comment