Monday, September 21, 2009

Relaxation and a hair cut

Relax day.

Today is Sunday, and I gotta say that both Grace and I need a rest.

Saturday’s intense where are we going and when drama wore me out completely, even though the second part of the day was very relaxing mentally.

Today we got up leisurely and ate a nice breakfast at the hotel restaurant. No schedule, no run here to do that, then there to do this. So after breakfast, we walked down the street to an eyeglass store and asked the man if he could fix Grace’s glasses. He did with a smile, the lens had fallen out but my eyes do not see that small, and we had not brought our usual glass repair kit. No charge. Nice

And that is one of the reasons we are having such a good time, even tho tired. The Chinese person, for the most part is happy, pleasant, proud, and willing to assist. Usually without their hand reaching into your pocket (maybe I should add too deeply?). It is almost always a pleasure dealing with them, be they a local shopkeeper or a student we meet that wishes to practice their language skills.

The Chinese are on a roll, and almost daily they see improvement in their lifestyle. We were talking to a lady from Australia this morning at breakfast. She first came to Jing de zhen 6 years ago. She has lived here as a resident artist or teaching at the university for two years in addition to a number of additional trips here. We had a nice discussion as to how China in general and Jing de zhen in particular has changed. Sure, there are the things that will never change, but it is amazing to anyone who has visited over time the progress they are making.

After the glasses shop we came back to the hotel and rested. As lunchtime approached we walked down the street again, but on the other side. Stopped at an ATM and tried to get some money. It worked in Shanghai, why not here? Nope. Card not valid. Hope that does not mean trouble. We went inside, yes, banks are apparently open on Sunday here, surprise! (Yes, I was too.) but we had left our small English to Chinese book in the room, and we did not speak what was needed. And they did not speak a word of English either. Not a problem, when the security guard could not help, we went to a teller. She could not speak a word of English either, but we eventually got through that we were Americans, and the debit card did not work in their machine. The guard then walked us down another 150 feet to a different bank’s (they are everywhere, the average Chinese person saves 20 % of their income!) ATM facility and asked their security guard if we could try. He suggested one machine out of the four there, and sure enough English appears on the screen as an option. Money came out, we smiled and say thank you, and we are off again.

Across from the hotel and down a side street is an urban redevelopment area that has been renovated along the lines of a Ming Dynasty street. Magnificent buildings, but a lot of food and trinket booths all blocking traffic and the way. We walk down there maybe four blocks and come to the end, where they are building what appears to be an apartment complex along the same lines. Beautiful, modern, and well designed. Nothing further, and no sit down restaurants, so we head back. I sit for a photo at a sculpture of an old Chinese barber cast in bronze. Back to the front and we get lunch at a fast serve Chinese restaurant. Clean, efficient, fair prices, modern, they are going to have a tremendous impact on this country just as our McDonald’s and such did.

Heading back to the hotel after lunch, we pass an older Chinese man in an alley and sure enough, he has almost the same setup the bronze casting had, a barber. I shake my head, and do not want to try him as I have been waiting for one of those that has the massage offering too. But we get 50 feet and I reconsider. Grace laughs, and takes the camera. I ask what price, but he is too deaf or does not understand, he is possibly 70 years old. Just then a very loud speaker comes on right behind him, blaring shop music from the store just to his right. He picks up the chair, moves to the other side of the alley, and sets it down. He goes back for his mirror stand and wash bowl, and I sit in the chair. Haircut begins, he is slow, no electrical apparatus here, all man powered. He does a pretty good job on the head, then offers to wash my hair, so I bend forward and let him. Then comes the shave on the back of the neck, with a razor that has been. . . I better stop there, I did not want to think about it either.

Oh, did I mention the passing traffic inches from us every so often, remember, I did say alley.

Ah, then he asks if I want a beard something (?). I decide what the heck, this is my only opportunity, so tell him with finger motions no shave, but to cut the beard. He does: OFF! Too late, and Grace is hooting by now, but does come over and asks he not cut the stash.

My after picture is attached. Notice the stash is not even? Notice I did NOT let him shave my face? We’ll try to get it done soon, and I’m hoping the beard grows back soon too. So Jennifer, who is now 36(?), has now seen me twice in her life without a beard. I do not think Beth, who is 26 (?), has ever seen me like this.

Back to the hotel, hope they let me leave China in two weeks even tho I do not now match my passport photo.

Life is an adventure, and should be lived that way. Sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment